International meeting centres and academic guesthouses specifically designed for scientists from all over the world have existed in Germany since the 1960s following an initiative by the Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation.
The IBZ Rostock opened its doors and welcomed the first international scientists on 1st August 1998. In 2010, the German guesthouses jointly founded the association “IBZ Verbund e.V.”, to which the IBZ Rostock belongs as well, in order to foster the common interests among its members.
The following organisations founded IBZ as a non-profit associationin 1998
- University of Rostock
- Rostock University for Music and Theatrer
- Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research
- Leibniz Institute for Catalysis Rostock
- Leibniz-Institute for Agricultural Research of Farm Animals
- Max-Planck-Institute for Demographic Research
The office of chairman of the board of the IBZ is held by the Kanzler of the University, currently by the deputy chairman, Mr. Frank Ivemeyer, Kanzler of the University of Music and Theatre (HMT). Tel.: +49 381 5108-200